Thursday, October 12, 2006

Are Pregnant Women Disabled?

Should pregnant women be given the same treatment as disabled people? That is a hard question to answer. Walmart (and some other stores/businesses) have said yes and have reserved parking spaces for "New and Expectant Mothers" right next to the handicapped parking spaces close to the store entrance. I hadn't used these spaces until a few evenings ago when Scott & I made a late night trip to Wallyworld. I had denied myself this convenience because, 1) I am perfectly capable of getting around and 2) exercise is good for me. In fact, I usually try to park as quickly as possible meaning I get spots pretty far from the door. I hate people who block traffic waiting for a "close" spot to open up. Lazy!! But on Tuesday night it was cold and raining, so I told Scott to go for it. He said he felt dirty for parking there. Honestly, I did, too. If it hadn't been raining, I wouldn't have done it. I don't know, I only have a few weeks left to go, so if ever I was going to use that privilege, now is the time. I mean, my feet do hurt fairly often, and I do walk more slowly than before. However, I can think of people who can use it more than me including moms with multiple kids, especially little ones. I might use the spot this winter when Gizmo is a small baby if the weather is frigid outside, but besides that, I think I will forgo it.

No comments: