Wednesday, August 09, 2006

The Royals suck, but it's still fun to watch them live

I love baseball. I guess that's what happens when you grow up with 2 brothers and a father who all watch baseball. Luckily, I didn't fall under the influence of their Cleveland Indian fandom or the prevailing Twin(kies) mentality up in ND. Now I cheer for the Atlanta Braves because Scott's enthusiasm for them was so infectious and they are a great team (or at least they were). When I moved to KC, I started to feel attached to the Royals because they are my home team now. But man, do they suck! They are the suckiest sucks that ever did suck. The funny thing is they have been improving somewhat as of late, while my beloved winners, the Braves, have lost it. They are now in the poop tank, too. Not only will they not be winning the pennant this year for the first time in a gazillion years (they won't even make the Wild Card), but Scott told me last night that their home record is worse than the Royals! I makes me sad to see Raphael Furcal and Greg Maddox light it up with the Dodgers, although I am happy for them.

Last night we saw another former Brave, Javi Lopez, play for the Boston Red Sox. I was more excited about seeing Big Papi as he is my favorite player. I am not a Sox fan, though. I love Ortiz but can't stand Ramirez and Crisp. I mean, come on, who is named Coco Crisp and doesn't get the crap beat out of him growing up? Anyway, the Royals actually pulled out a win last night! We only used 6 pitchers to do it (this is the usual pattern for them), and Burgos didn't blow it! See, miracles are possible. Of the 4 Royals games I've seen this year, this is the first one they've won. Scott & I have been on a baseball tear lately going to games last Friday, Saturday, and now last night. It's our anniversary gift to ourselves. Today makes 4 years of wedded bliss!! We decided not to go tonight as it's supposed to be over a 100 degrees again today and yesterday was only in the 90's:) Saturday when we went my feet swelled a bit, so I know I need to be careful and not overdo it. Also, the stadium does not allow bottles into the stadium which means I can't bring my own water in and they charge $4 for 20 oz.! Don't worry, I do take care of my child and shell out the moola for 1-2 bottles a game; I just hate paying that money for it.

So the Royals beat the Red Sox, and it was refreshing! I didn't have the usual feelings of apathy or disappointment that I usually have at the end of the game. Why do I torture myself so?! Like I said, I used to have winners in the Braves to retreat to when the Royals stunk too bad, but now there is really no retreat. The good news is that there is some optimism that the Royals will improve in the next few years due to some trades they made and some warming in their hitting. The Braves seem to be going down, though. Both need to work on their pitching big time! That's my 2 cents on baseball, America's pastime and mine. Oh, and the baby will be a baseball fan, whether he/she likes it or not!

No comments: