Monday, May 14, 2007

I'm 30!

Yes, today is my birthday, and I turn 30. Why am I publicizing this?!? I'm not sure... Whatever, I guess its not a secret, so why not. I feel strange about turning 30, but such is life. I definitely can't believe I'm 30 already because my 20's just flew by, but really I don't think 30 is that old. Its just weird to think of myself as 30. I'm sure I'll get over it soon.

As far as birthdays go, I can't complain. Its been a pretty good one. First off, I get my first Mother's Day and my 30th wrapped into a nice 2 day celebration. Happy belated Mother's Day to everyone. Yesterday, my brother, Daren, flew in from San Diego for a 4 day visit (notice the California tan). He and Nicky are having a lot of fun together being silly. Anyway, after we picked him at the airport, we drove to Platte City where there was supposed to a BBQ contest going on. But, when we got there, we found out it had ended the day before:( So instead we took Daren to Arthur Bryant's downtown for some authentic KC BBQ. Yum!! Then we headed to the River Market to check that out. Overall, a very nice day. I got a nice card from Nicky and Scott as well as a set of almond scented lotion, soap, and a candle. Just what I wanted!

Today, I opened my other present - some really nice and way-too-expensive clothes that Scott picked out for me. I love them, but have to exchange the jeans because they are a size too big:)!! I have never had a pair of jeans this trendy and nice before; I almost feel guilty about it and I didn't even buy them! I also got the cutest card ever from Nicky and Scott. It reads, "Pooh loves Piglet, Piglet loves Pooh, and Guess what Mommy, I love you!! Happy Birthday." Nicky even signed it (with Scott's help, of course). Tonight, we will go out for supper and have some cake. Thanks to my parents, my mother and father-in-law, my brother and sister-in-law, and my cousin Tyla for the lovely birthday cards as well as my friends Beth and Sarah for the birthday emails. And thanks to my Auntie/Godmother Arlene for sending me birthday wishes over the phone. It feels nice to be loved!

In other news, today the insurance adjuster came to look at our basement. Our finally tally of losses: a repair bill to fix the water heater, my Martha Stewart pre-lit Xmas tree, ALL of my Xmas decorations:( (2 rubbermaid totes worth that obviously weren't water tight), a big huge box of my old textbooks, and clean-up time and costs. Overall, not too bad. The only thing I am really bummed about is the Christmas stuff. I am going to try to salvage my Hallmark decorations. We'll hear back next week from the insurance company on how much they will compensate us.

Tomorrow, Daren, Nicky and I (and hopefully Scott in the afternoon) are going to the amusement park. I hope Scott comes so I can ride some roller coasters (someone has to sit with Nicky on the sidelines). I absolutely love roller coaster so I can't wait!!




No comments: