Monday, May 07, 2007

Basement Flooding

My basement is filled with poop water. Yes, I could have stated that more nicely, as in "sewer water," but the more graphic language captures the horror better, I think. Let me explain... There has been ongoing heavy rain for the last week and many of the basements around here are taking on water. That's usually all fine and good - we have a sump pump and we know well enough to put up all of our things a few inches so the occasional stream doesn't wreck them. However, we weren't fully prepared for the current scenario. Last night, at its height (we think), the water was about 8 inches deep!!! And this isn't just normal rainwater, its sewer water due to the lack of a storm sewer system in this part of our lovely city. I'll let Scott explain how the city has been stalling on making this set of somewhat expensive but obviously needed improvements with his inside knowledge of the city. All I know is, yesterday in between deluges, when the water had subsided in our basement, there was actual excrement on the floor (see picture). Possible losses include our Christmas tree, a box of textbook that I didn't have high enough and some dress pants I had been drying on a rack. On top of that, we are worried that our water heater, furnace and washer and dryer might get damaged or ruined. This morning, Scott said his shower was only lukewarm.

Well, the water is draining right now so soon I will have to go downstairs and inspect damage and start clean-up. With 5 more days of rain forecasted, this will likely be an ongoing situation. Did I mention that I need a shower and have a ton of laundry to do...

3 comments:

Lyle Snyder said...

Scott and Lesley:

My heart goes out to you guys for this one.

Rob, Trish, Olivia, Evan, & Thunder said...

Did you guys have flood insurance? Would that even cover any damages? I'm sorry this happened. We've had LOTS of rain as well lately, but luckily, we're up high enough...because we don't even have a basement! Hope it gets better for you all soon!

LesleyH said...

Trish,

It wasn't a flooding issue, it was a sewer backup issue and that is covered by our home owner's insurance. Everyone, go check your home owner's insurance - sewer back-up can sometime be an add-on. So glad we had it! Looks like our water-heater is okay, but all my Xmas decorations are done for because the plastic totes they were in got knocked over:(