Monday, April 09, 2007

Spring Was In the Air

The week before last was the first week of spring, but it almost felt like summer. Temps were in the 70's and 80's. The trees were budding, the grass was nice and green, and my tulips and daffodils were blooming. Nicky kept Scott company when he did his yard work, and he also played in his playpen outside on the deck while I put teak oil on our wood patio furniture. Scott mowed the grass for the first time this year, and I cut some of my tulips and put them in a vase to enjoy indoors. There were so many of them in my flower garden is year that even after picking this huge bouquet, there were still plenty left outside. Nicky and I went on many walks and trips to the park, we barbecued some of our meals on the grill, and the whole family was eagerly anticipating the start to the baseball season.

Nicky enjoying the outdoors

My tulip bouquet

Then, last week arrived and the temperatures plummeted. It went from 80 to 40 degrees and it was just too cold to take Nicky to the baseball park. He did wear his little Royals outfit at home, though, and as you can see, royal blue is his color! Scott went to a game and promptly got a head cold. And all those flowers I didn't pick suffered a hard freeze. Bummer. I just hope it eventually gets warm again soon and we don't skip straight from 50 degrees to 90 degrees or something. Anyway, we will be going to the ballpark a few times this summer as the weather permits. I can't wait! Its good that I have baseball to look forward to since college basketball and hockey both ended badly for me this year. Not only did KU lose in the Elite 8, but UND's hockey team lost in the Frozen Four for the second year in a row to Boston College. Glad we didn't waste our money on a trip to Saint Louis to see that!



Nicky in his Royals uniform

In other news, Nicky got his first haircut. I gave him just a little trim to even up his bangs. His older hairs on top were way longer and they made him look like he had a bad comb-over. The newer growth underneath was nice and even, so I just cut the hair on top to match it. And I must say, I didn't do a bad job!

Nicky's first haircut

The family also enjoyed a nice Easter yesterday. We had a bumpy start at church where it was so packed that we had to stand in the back because there were no more seats. Luckily, one of the ushers went and found us one folding chair which was helpful for when Nicky fell asleep. At home, Nicky got a baseball themed Easter basket. He really enjoyed sucking on the little stuffed bunny he received! He looked precious in his little Easter outfit. Check out his latest slide show on his blog for more pictures. Hope you all had a happy Easter as well! I really shouldn't complain about our temperatures here, I know; we could have snow like our family up in North Dakota.

Nicky with his Easter basket


Nicky in his Easter outfit

Also, Scott's birthday is on Friday, so I am trying to plan something for that depending on if I find a babysitter on time. Anybody up for that?!

1 comment:

Lyle Snyder said...

He is a "smiley" one.

The KC outfit is pretty cute... he'd look better in a Sox uniform though. :)